Wednesday 7 September 2011

You've got a friend in me

Just like everyone else at some point in their lives, I have made some bad decisions in the past.  I have treated myself badly and allowed myself to be treated badly.  It's not always easy to move on from bad choices and when you find yourself in a situation that seems impossible to get out of, it takes a lot of strength to get back on the right track.

I have been very fortunate in that I haven't had to find that strength alone.  I have a wonderful man, some very good friends and awesome parents- I haven't always treated them all as well as I should, nor have I devoted to them the time that they deserve- but when I'm in need, there they are.  When I've needed to escape and hide away, my parents have always had a spare bed for the night.  When I've needed to cry and be held and told that everything was ok, Mr T would always be there to turn to.  When I've needed to forget it all and let my hair down, my girls are there waiting with a bottle and a smile.

I've had times that I've been so low I've shut everyone out and not known how to face the World again.  I've been selfish and wallowed in self pity (can you hear the violins yet?).  When I've come out the other side, sometimes, barely making it- guess who's there waiting for me, to help me up, to carry me on.

As I've mentioned previously, as you will now know, I have only recently become Mrs T.  On our Big Day, I've never felt so loved.  By my wonderful husband, by my parents, by my friends and by my new family.  Those people waiting to helping me along in life joined forces and lifted me up.  My life-long friend was on hand to curl and powder and generally make us all beautiful- it just wouldn't have been the same without her.  My inspiration was there to snap away and capture our happy memories of our special day- and a truly wonderful job she did too.  My parents were there with a ribbon on their car, smiles on their faces and empty wallets of all that they could spare to help make our day magical.  Mr T's family were there waiting for me to arrive- I've never felt so welcome, they too made huge contributions to such an important day for us.  Mr T himself, a sight to behold, ever faithful, waiting for me- I've never been so proud.  Of course the 3 lovely goblins, all dressed up, happy to be part of the occasion- I couldn't ask for a more wonderful little family.

The people that I've always thought would stand by me, heart and soul, have disappointed.  The ones I thought would never let me down, never hurt me- these are the ones that cause the most pain.

The ones I have taken for granted, the ones that have loved me me selflessly, that I have neglected- there they are, still waiting for me.  For that I am truly grateful.

Thankfully I am now in a position to be happy, so happy.  I am now healthy, mind body and soul and I can finally say- I'm here for you too.  If you need me, I won't be far away.  If you don't- I'll still be here... just like you were. I would apologise for my behaviour in the past, but I now realise that there is no need, that there is nothing to forgive, I just have to be here. 

I can't thank you enough, but I can promise- you've got a friend in me.

3 comments:

  1. .... Now I just have the Toy Story theme tune stuck in my head.... on a serious note - course we're here for you :) - always will be! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.A.R.E.N.T = private accommodation ready even now. True! Or... Popular adult rarely exercising negative talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince......its the law!!So glad you have found your prince.
    Be happy and remember i love you because its my job Lol! You may be Mrs T but i'm your mum and you will always be my baby.........and yes i too am hummming the Toy Story theme.xx

    ReplyDelete