Saturday 8 October 2011

In loving memory

At some time in our lives, we all have to say goodbye to somebody.  If you're lucky, it's just for a while, and they'll come back to you again.  Sadly, the most memorable goodbyes are to those that we aren't to see again in this lifetime- I however, am sure that at some point, we will once again reunite.  I don't believe in heaven or hell or anything written in any book or preached to the masses.  I just believe that life doesn't just stop.  I never have the words to comfort or ease the pain of those in need- particularly if I am hurting too.  I suppose there are no words, only time.

It often feels as though the World has come to a stop, it's hard to just carry on when nothing seems to matter as much- but carry on we must.  If we really think about it, I'm sure the ones we've lost wouldn't want us to wallow in sadness.  I know for sure that those I hold dear that have had to leave would not accept this behaviour for long at all and would pack me up and send me on my way, on to the next adventure, to the next smile.  I find comfort in the happy memories left behind, the shared laughter, the stories retold again and again because they leave me feeling warm and no longer so empty.  I find comfort in the fact that they will always be with me in some way- a song that reminds me of a happier time, a scent that brings me right back to a hug, an advert on tv, a passing stranger with a familiar face- so many things that will always remind me of the ones that I miss.

Every time the sun shines through on a cloudy day- I feel those people smiling at me, being happy that I am happy, being proud of the things I do right and laughing along with me when I do things wrong.  Every special moment in my life- I don't feel that they are missing them- they are right there with us when it matters.  When I am down and struggling to find these comforts and I feel the pain of loss once again- something or someone will always happen along to help me up... I truly believe that they are right there too, pushing me along, willing me to carry on and enjoy our precious time here.

Live, love, share, forgive- life really is too short, it will be what you make it.  Don't regret the things you haven't done, appreciate the things you have.  I hope these words are of some comfort to any of you feeling a loss, but if not, please give it time, keep going- you will smile again.

In loving memory of all those that I have loved and lost.

1 comment:

  1. Funeral Blues

    Wystan Hugh Auden
    Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
    Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone.
    Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
    Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

    Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
    Scribbling on the sky the message He is Dead,
    Put crépe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
    Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

    He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song,
    I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong

    The stars are not wanted now, put out every one;
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.

    ReplyDelete