Tuesday 18 October 2011

Sister, Sister

I grew up with my Mum and Dad and my two sisters.  I am the 'middle child'.  When we were much younger, we were very close- most of the time, inseparable.  These days, sadly, we are no longer so close.  It's understandable, we all have our own lives to lead, there are never enough hours in the day.  Both of my sisters have children of their own and little free time- I am proud of them both.  I work long hours during the week and my weekends are occupied by the goblins.  I wish it were only time that prevented us from being so close.  Sadly, as we've grown, our opinions have changed, we've all developed very different personalities and beliefs.  We no longer finish each others' sentences and swap clothes- we tend to catch up via our parents if at all.

Families are complicated.  No matter what happens, you never stop loving them.  They have the ability to frustrate and infuriate you, to hurt you and embarrass you.  Equally they can love and support you, make you laugh until you cry.

The one thing my sisters and I will always have in common (other than our parents... duh) is our sense of humour.  The same things will always make us chuckle, or laugh out loud uncontrollably.  If ever my sisters and I are going through a tough patch, I take comfort in the little things that I say or do that make me think (Huh... she would understand!) when nobody around is amused.  I remember the happy and silly times spent together and look forward to happier times that I know will follow- because, well, we're sisters!

Whether we let our guard down and say it, or whether we're stubborn and don't- we know we'll always love and care about each other.  If we hear that one or other is having a tough time, we think well wishes and send positive 'hugs', if only in our heads.  We still care.

I was recently reunited with my younger sister after some troubled times.  She may be a pain at times but I'll always need her.  I'm pretty sure she feels exactly the same way!  I hope one day to have my big sister in my life again too, but whether we speak daily, or only at Christmas, she'll always be my hero.

One thing is for sure- time is short and we should all make the most of it.  I adore my family and I often wish my Mum would affectionately utter her famous line from my childhood, "If you girls don't get along nicely I'll bang your heads together!"

If only it were that easy!

I guess my point is- Zoe, Bex- I love you.  You know where I am x

No comments:

Post a Comment