Thursday 6 August 2015

Spectrum mysteries


Each day I try to understand the reasoning behind,

The quirky ways that you behave, what happens in your mind?

I long to know just how you feel and what you want and need,

What it means to always move, to jump and run at speed

 

What makes you walk on tippy-toes and draws you near to wheels?

Why won’t you eat or try new foods, why are you stressed by meals?

How does a cushion comfort you in your times of distress?

Why are cuddles shunned in fear, your preference a strong ‘press’?

 

Why do you echo things I say, why is answering so hard?

Your sentences so jumbled, each word a broken shard

Do you feel anger with your speech, do you even care

If you have thoughts and feelings that you may not ever share?

 

But when I am not wondering, I’m watching you in awe,

You see, dear boy, my precious son, I couldn’t love you more!

I marvel at your interests, your memory, the ease

At which you do the things you love, you master skills with ease

 

You shine so bright with happiness, your company a joy

You love to play with others and you’ll gladly share a toy

Your baby sister loves you, you share a special bond

I see how much you love her too, of these times I’m most fond

 

So when you have your troubled days and things just don’t feel right,

Although I may not understand I’ll help you fight each fight,

To get you through the hard times, to help you have your say

We’ll keep trying together, son, to help you on your way

 

Your future is a bright one, of that I’m very sure

You’ve so much love to give that you can overlook a flaw

Your perspective is so innocent, the world’s a better place

You’ll learn to know the feelings that are hidden in a face

 

It’s quite okay if you don’t want to look me in the eye

I know that when the time is right you’ll have the strength to try

You may not notice hunger, or pain or danger near

But that’s why I am here for you, to teach you this, my dear

 

Keep being who you’re being, don’t ever lose your way

There’s one thing so important that I really have to say,

I’m proud of you – because, not in spite- of everything you are

My firstborn and my son you are my brightly shining star

No comments:

Post a Comment